Tuesday 17 January 2017

Recipe - Kuih Keria Gula Melaka

The sudden popularity of kuih keria gula melaka makes me wanna go all the way to Melaka to have a sample of the original version of this delicacies. But reading all the bad reviews online on the customer service there made me change my mind. I might as well do it on my own, as it's not that difficult of a recipe. 

I did a quick search on the internet and saw many version of this recipe. Some version asked for sweet potato, baking soda, rice flour etc. I guess you need to try each one to know which combination works best. 

So the ingredients and the recipe are as follows;

Main ingredient - White Sweet Potato (Ubi Keledek Putih)
I peeled the potatoes and cut them into cubes so that it will cook faster later on. 

I used 1.25 kg of potatoes and I got around 40-50 kuih 
Give them a quick rinse and boiled them in water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
Make sure it's tender all the way through then you can drain the potatoes in a strainer

Now it's time to mash the potatoes. Since I don't have the potato masher I just used the old school pestle. Well actually Nazli did the all hard work

After a while I add in 1 1/2 cup of flour. Make sure you did not add in too much flour. 

Then make a ball in your hand, poke em in the middle. Kind of mini donuts. 

Heat the oil and deep fried those doughy goodness

Trust me, these babies are even good on their own. Especially when they're still hot!

While waiting for them to cool off a bit, get ready with the glaze. I've made the mistake of right away adding the keria in while they're hot and they...... deflated. That's not a nice sight. Haha

For the glaze, you'll need gula melaka, sugar, pandan leaves, some water and a bit of salt. 

My husband doing his thing with the gula melaka 

Put everything in a big pan and let it simmer and bubble a bit. Don't add too much water in!

Then add in the fried keria. Keep on stirring  the kueh until it thickens and hardened a bit
The heavenly outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Travel. Eat. Love Made with ❤ by azhafizah.com